We are seeking a Manager of Mining for a residential position working for Lihir Gold Limited in Papua New Guinea. Reporting to Head Of Mining, you will lead, direct and manage the Mining team, including fulfilment of all departmental periodic targets and KPI's, short, medium and long term mining strategies, resourcing and budget management to ensure the Mining team meets production and processing needs at the lowest cost.
You will have:
- Strong technical acumen for open cut mining, particularly across hard rock challenging orebodies.
- Extensive short, medium- and long-term planning experience.
- Experience overseeing contracting groups on surface hard rock mining projects.
- An ability to lead and manage the Mining Department to achieve operational targets by setting and monitoring operational objectives, targets and plans and establishing clear accountabilities for delivery if these.
- The ability to work within the site contract management system to ensure contracts are implemented.
- Strong annual budget and planning management with a focus on cost improvement strategies
- A strong interpersonal capability to work closely with the Leadership Team Members developing and revising strategic business plans across Pit optimisation and Life of Mine production schedules, targeted gold production schedules and strategies relating to cost effective equipment replacement.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Tertiary Bachelor Degree in Mining Engineering (Surface Mining) essential.
- PNG MRA Registered Mine Manager Appointment preferable.
- Minimum 15+ years relevant work experience essential in mining management roles preferably in a large-scale precious metals extraction and processing operations across hard rock mining.
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for own health and safety whilst setting clear expectations of relevant legal obligations, safe workplace practices and HSE operating practices to others, holding them accountable for their actions.
- A sound understanding and application across Geotechnical, Geological and Geothermal mining practices desirable.
- Relevant experience in PNG Mining desirable.
- Previous Mine Management experience working in a developing country across a challenging hard rock surface mining operation advantageous, but not essential.
- Takes personal responsibility to develop team members through constructive feedback, allocation of assignments / projects, coaching and formal training to build capability & competence.
- Develops & implements mid to long-term departmental plans, changes and initiatives to achieve overall business goals by providing positive leadership, direction & guidance within the department and wider organisation.
- Reviews departmental financial data & results to assess performance and identify opportunities for maximising results, reducing risk and implementing cost management initiatives.
- Must be willing to relocate residentially on Lihir Island.
- Ability to successfully complete a pre-employment medical assessment.
Newcrest's commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share these values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the advertised application closing date, preferably as a Microsoft Word document.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.