A great contract opportunity for an experienced Chief Mine Engineer, results-focused professional with strong background in underground mines.
Based at the Macassa Site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Chief Mine Engineer to join our Engineering team for a 1 year contract. The Chief Mine Engineer will be responsible for supervising all mine engineering staff and all mine engineering processes at the Macassa mine to maximize the operations performance in a safe manner.
The Macassa Mine is a high-grade gold producer, with grade improving at depth, and a key valuation driver for Kirkland Lake Gold. Located in the Town of Kirkland Lake, Ontario, the Macassa Mine remains on the highest gold grade mines in the world. Macassa commenced operations in 2002, and with the discovery of the South Mine Complex has been able to increase its level of production significantly over the past five years. The mine is located in an area with well-developed infrastructure, including a provincial highway, a railway system and a private airport. High-grade ore is processed at the Macassa Mill, which currently has available capacity and is located in close proximity to the mine.
- Your responsibilities will include:
- Supervise and mentor the mine engineering personnel
- Develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner
- Establish, optimize, execute and effectively monitor short-term and long-term plans that supports the growth of the operation, in particular the Life of Mine Plans for Macassa Mine
- Facilitate weekly planning meetings, with key personnel, to coordinate activities in order to meet goals
- Oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities/processes including planning, surface and underground infrastructure, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation and reporting
- In consultation with the mine team, plan alternative optimized methods of ore extraction, stope access and mining sequence, detailing the costs, benefits and issues with each approach and make recommendations to the team
- Monitor compliance and ensure adherence to applicable engineering codes, regulations, safety and environmental practices, performance standards and specifications
- Foster cooperation, collaboration and innovation with all stakeholders (Mine Manager, mine operations personnel, geology and exploration departments, etc.) through teamwork and communication
- Provide technical leadership and operational expertise to the engineering and operations team
- Develop the annual mine site budget and quarterly forecasts, with assistance from stakeholders
- Oversee and signoff on month-end engineering reports
- Develop and follow the annual engineering budget
- Lead the annual mine reserves calculation
- Perform other duties as requested
- Registered Professional Engineer
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in underground mine engineering and a minimum of 3-4 years with engineering leadership experience
- Strong background in narrow-vein, long-hole and conventional mining methods is essential
- Ability to prioritize workload and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure with independence and professionalism
- Strong computer skills are essential, including the ability to use and create excel spreadsheets and work with scheduling programs. Excellent skills are required in the use of Computer Aided Design programs such as Deswik, Datamine, AutoCAD and others.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Project)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- A team player that works well with others
- Ability to coach and mentor engineering team
- Excellent analytical skills, good attention to detail, and ability to provide sound engineering problem-solving techniques to resolve potential issues
- Strong oral and written communication skills
The position offers a competitive remuneration package.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document. Please note, that due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.