Roxgold has engaged Globe 24-7 to source the General Manager - Operations for their flagship Yaramoko gold project in Burkina Faso. The Yaramoko gold mine is situated in the Houndé greenstone belt region in the Province of Balé in southwestern Burkina Faso. It consists of two high-grade underground gold mines, with longhole stoping being its primary method at this 1,100 tonne-per-day operation.
The General Manager Operations is responsible for ensuring the various management systems (Processing, Maintenance, Finance, Supply, HR & Safety) are reviewed and optimised throughout the project plus developing the mining and technical teams and capability. A large component of the role is to manage the local community relations as this is critical to the success of the Yaramoko project development in Burkina Faso.
Reporting to the COO, the GM Ops will provide tactical and strategic leadership for the company both at site and Ouagadougou including:
- Managing and successfully leading the Project through the operational mine and plant site in a safe and environmentally sound manner, within approved budgets and schedules.
- Directly managing the in-country senior management teams to ensure the successful development of the project ensuring that each of their department's deliverables are achieved.
- Establishing on-going budgets, mining plans, annual and mine-life operational plans, operating procedures, timely and accurate reporting mechanisms, and ensure that all required permits including, but not limited to environmental and operating permits are respected and the Mine and plant site are operated in a safe and environmentally sound manner, within approved budgets and schedules.
- Acting as the leading ambassador for the Company and develop necessary contacts and relationships with government officials at all levels, and with business, media and community groups, to foster the smooth and expeditious operations of the Mine.
- Providing technical expertise in regards to the mining and processing areas of the project development and operation.
- Driving a culture of quality and efficiency within the company focused on delivering results in line with Executive expectations.
- Ensuring that communications between the Department heads is effective and open at all times.
- Reporting on a regular basis to the Executive team on the project development to keep them well informed of the status.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- 15+ years with mining experience and tertiary qualified in Engineering, Processing or similar.
- Extensive knowledge of underground gold mining in developing countries essential.
- Previous experience in start-up mining environments essential.
- High commercial acumen focused with sound financial, budgeting and project management skills.
- French language skills desired, not essential.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels of the organisation and build effective relationships and networks.
- Possess strong influencing skills and the ability to develop an effective team.
- Demonstrate strong conceptual skills, and be capable of developing lateral and practical solutions.
- Ability to respond to a changing work environment.
- The ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at the same time.
- A reputation for integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
This position operates on a FIFO 6/3 roster working 12 hour days within Burkina Faso. Travel to site from Ouagadougou is 3.5 hours by car. Camp accommodation is provided. Additional travel to other locations in Burkina Faso may be required from time to time.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document.