Our client is seeking for an experienced Health and Safety Superintendent to join their underground mine operation located in Michigan (Upper Peninsula), USA.
Our client is a Nickel producer mine, committed to health, safety and environmental standards, as well as the integrity of its employees and social responsibility. Eagle is the nation's only primary nickel mine and is expected to produce 360 million pounds of nickel, 295 million pounds of copper and small amounts of other metals over its nine-year mine life (2014 to Q4 2023).
Reporting to the Health, Safety, Environmental & Permitting Manager, the Health and Safety Superintendent will be responsible for providing oversight of health and safety (H&S) activities at all mine facilities ensuring compliance with all internal and external requirements. The Health and Safety Superintendent works closely with the H&S team to support Eagle mine operations and corporate group initiatives.
- Supervises day to day operational H&S activities at the Mine and Mill sites to include execution of required activities associated with the following focus areas:
- Security and emergency medical service
- Site operational health and safety support
- Health and safety training and assurance
- Act as an agent of change. Identify, develop and lead efforts that will improve safety performance, with a focus on achieving Zero Harm.
- Provide strong and effective leadership to support the development of H&S ownership and accountability across all levels of the organization.
- Provide H&S guidance, consultation, mentoring, coaching and advice to the health and safety team and senior leadership teams.
- Ensure all required data or other information is available to facilitate accurate and timely reporting, ensuring legal compliance.
- Act as the primary liaison with regulatory agencies including MSHA and OSHA.
- Utilize data to perform trend analyses to facilitate development of long-term strategies to mitigate H&S risks while maintaining a proactive and engaged H&S culture.
- Manage resolution of emergency situations.
- Ensures development, implementation and maintenance of the site's Responsible Mining Management System and corresponding Health and Safety standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant health and safety work experience, preferably in mining, manufacturing or heavy industrial sectors preferred.
- Underground mining experience is desired.
- Degree (BS or AS) in occupational health and safety or another relevant field preferred
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience required
- MSHA instructor certification; surface and underground preferred
- Must be able to work in an underground mining environment
- Working knowledge of federal and state compliance regulations (e.g. MSHA, OSHA and Hazwoper) preferred
- Experience in project and risk management, process safety, and incident investigation preferred
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license required
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) preferred
- CSP, CIH or CMSP certification desirable
- Willingness to relocate close to site (Upper Michigan, USA)
Our client will provide an attractive remuneration package. This role presents as an excellent opportunity for a professional to further their career with a world-class organization.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document.