Reporting to the General Manager, the Mine Technical Services Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day and strategic direction of the mine engineering function by providing effective leadership of the technical services team in delivering efficient mining strategy, planning and cost effective mineral extraction methods through the development of integrated mine plans and schedules that optimize the value of the orebody.
The Bomboré Gold Project is one of the largest undeveloped open pit gold deposit in Burkina Faso with excellent infrastructure, located approximately 85 kilometres by paved highway from the capital city, Ouagadougou. The project is currently undergoing an optimized, updated definitive feasibility study scheduled for completion in June 2018. The project is permitted and will advance rapidly toward construction with first gold pour targeted by the end of 2020.
The deposit hosts a Measured and Indicated mineral resource containing over 4.7 million ounces of gold, with gold recovered through a standard CIL circuit. The initial mine life will focus on the shallow free digging oxides which is underlain by a substantial sulphide resource. The project remains open to further exploration discoveries on the project's large and underexplored tenements.
The project is owned 90% by the Orezone Gold Corporation ("OGC", a publicly listed company on the TSX Venture Exchange) and 10% by the government of Burkina Faso. The directors and management of OGC have a proven track record of discovering, financing, constructing and operating mines in West Africa and abroad. OGC recently completed an equity private placement for CAD$44.92 million and is well-funded to carry out its business plan.
- Lead and manage the mine technical services team including selection of key hires;
- Directing the mine engineering, design, planning, survey, hydrogeology and water management activities and schedules;
- Preparation of Mine Contractor technical documents, assisting in adjudication and the selection of mine contractor(s);
- Assisting with the completion of detailed engineering and subsequent interfacing of earthworks contractors and company mining activities as they relate to construction and pre-operational mine works;
- Leading short- and long-term mine planning including management of the mine contractor(s), ore grade control, stockpile management, waste dump design and construction, and interface on tailings facility layout and construction as related to mine waste usage and schedule;
- Confirming technical team is compliant to work standards;
- Implementing robust procedures, and ensure mining operations follow the Company's safety, environmental and CSR practices and systems;
- Ensuring the mine planning team provides production schedules and operation plans in accordance with the Life of Mine plan;
- Managing the annual department budget and focus on cost optimization and production improvement ideas;
- Driving a culture of continuous improvement within the department, focused on optimizing production; and
- Other duties that may be assigned by the General Manager.
- Fluent English and French language skills is highly desired.
- Degree in mining engineering;
- 8+ years of experience working in mining operations in technical services;
- Greenfield experience within gold projects is a strong advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of mining operations with a broad knowledge and understanding of all key aspects of mining, processing and maintenance, finance and administration, security, safety management and sustainability;
- Proven leadership experience managing technical teams, ability to develop teamwork, develop excellent communications between individuals and crews;
- Experience operating in remote areas, Africa in particular;
- Experience of operating in a multicultural environment;
- Familiarity with Geovia Gems, Surpac and Leapfrog software is desirable; and
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
This role will be based at the project's mine site in Burkina Faso, situated 85 kilometres east adjacent to a paved highway from the capital city of Ouagadougou. Some travel may be required as needed.
This position offers a competitive remuneration package and is an excellent opportunity for a professional to further their career with a world-class organization.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document.